Water Erasable Pens

Removal of Pen.

It is always recommended that the ink from your pen
is completely removed from the fabric.

There has been some research of  late especially for patchwork
and the effect the ink will have on the fabric over the years.
A concern to those ladies who have spent months or years
creating a quilt for the present time or as a family heirloom.


Myself, if  I have a cotton blend, I just dab it with a wet
cotton bud until it disappears.
With a Satin or Silk I find that  once I use this method
the ink bleeds through and makes it worse.

 So the best advise I can give you is this. 
When the work is completed and still in the hoop place it under
a slow running cold water tap until the ink has completely
disappeared and leave to dry. By leaving  the fabric in the hoop
you will have limited disturbance to the embroidery.

(Rearrange the ribbon when still wet if necessary and if
when it has dried  you are still concerned, steam is an option
to reshape the silk ribbon.)

There are other types of markers available, and I shall do some
more research on the matter for a later posting.




A pair of Eastern Rosella's have a feed in my backyard.
Very timid and difficult to get a photo.
This time I was lucky.



Carol Daisy

Comments

  1. I appreciate your research. I use water erasable pens on my own work, but get fearful of the worry about it effecting the fabric on others blocks in Round Robins.

    I often do a color test on the underside of the fabric in the seam allowance and test if the water takes it out or not and if it is slightly visible later.

    I have heard mention that on white fabrics, although the color of the ink is gone, when held up to light you can still see the markings. With some fabrics I too have noticed this. Usually my cottons have no problems, but other sometimes do. I look forward to reading what else you come up with:)

    Ann Flowers
    flowerscrazyq@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment